Friday, February 19, 2016

And The Journey Continues

So I just realized that I wrote this post in July... 2014.. and never posted it. Hah! Whoops! Well, here it is. Pretend it's July 2014 as you read it:

     I recently started a new job. I have been so busy with this job that I completely forgot to celebrate my one year mark! (Surgery was March 2013) ONE YEAR GUYS! I am one year PAST surgery. One year post-op. Actually, it's about a year and 3 months! I can't believe I didn't celebrate. Call me a diva but after this massive battle, a year post op anniversary calls for celebration!! It's so amazing to be on this end. The end of NOT continually waiting for the never approaching surgery date! I can't believe it. My life no longer revolves around fights with insurances, continuous ulcers, unbearable pain and lost self confidence, scheduling and re-scheduling my surgery date, the worst migraines, back pain, restless sleep due to chronic back and neck pain. Rather, my life revolves around stabilizing meds, banding my mouth shut each night, loving what I see in the mirror with a new found confidence, no pain, sleeping better, no migraines whatsoever, being able to bite and still thinking insurances are retarded. What the heck am I paying you for if you won't help me in a major time of need, with my own money none the less, that I have paid you over the years? It just doesn't make sense. But you know what? Whatever! We made it happen. With the help of my parents, my parents in law and Tyson on the financial end, we made it happen. And it wouldn't have been possible without them! I am forever grateful to each and every one of them. That was not an easy hand out. Mom, Dad, Trent, Diana and Tyson- THANK YOU THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES!!

So my last post I mentioned something about a scorpion. My story goes a little something like this:
On my trip home to Vegas for an ortho appnt, then on to Santa Barbara for surgeon check up, I had a 'boutique' party that same weekend. My boutique party consisted of my favorite leggings- Agnes and Dora, my favorite (super soft) tops- Indy Brand Clothing, and lots of delicious food. It's just not acceptable to host a party without food! So it's 2AM and I'm setting up for the party. I lift a furniture chair to move it back and step down on something pokey. I thought "ah! That hurt", but figured it was just something sticking out of the carpet. Before I stepped down on the same spot again, I had a feeling to look down. So I look down and what do I see? A freakin little clear scorpion with his stupid pincher curled high. Looking normal, just chillin like nothing happened. Immediately I got mad at it, then my better senses took over and I knew I needed to treat the sting. I hop over to my parents room and whisper "dad, dad.. I just stepped on a scorpion. What do I do?" In a flash, the covers are thrown from the bed and my mom and dad are next to me before I know it. Like vampire style. I swear they moved faster than Edward Cullen on his best day. They get my story and where the invader was, then mom rushes to the computer to research while dad goes to kill the scorpion.
Wash. Soap. Bleach. Oils. Ice. Elevate. That's what we did and it worked! I didn't have any issues. It hurt, itched and stung for awhile, but we jumped on it so fast that I avoided the major symptoms thank goodness. After surgery, I've had reactions to things I've never reacted to before. You just never know what's going to happen. But I tell ya what- that thing infuriated me! You don't come into MY domain, sting ME and live to tell about it. That sucker stole my peace of mind. I can no longer walk around my own home barefoot at night. Die, he must.

To date (remember we are pretending it's July 2014):
Still band my mouth shut. E v e r y. N i g h t.  = 7 Rubberbands (it's getting real old FAST! Actually, I lied- I'm way past the 'getting old point'. I'm SICK OF IT!)
I am currently stocking my own pharmacy-
6 pills for breakfast
2 pills for lunch
5 pills for dinner (I take meds like I'm a granny and my life depends on it)
Hook and screw still in my gums
Full feeling still not back in my gums or chin
Using less and less medicated blistex!
BRACES. ARE. STILL. ON. 
I do not know life without them. Family and friends don't really know me without braces, I think. I currently look like I'm pushing 18. 
Dr A added the medication Celebrex. This was due to the left side of my jaw making soft grinding noises. It was making me really nervous. It doesn't hurt, just sounds bad. So I emailed the office, he said to take Celebrex. That medication is primarily for arthritis. 

My year check up back in March went a little somethin' like this:
Dr A checks my bite. Dr A says "who's your ortho?"  Me: Spilsbury.     Dr A: "he smokes. Tell him he smokes. I've never seen a better ortho or a better bite".
"...continue on the meds. Come back in three months and if things are still looking good then, we'll see about getting the braces off".

So I returned in June. My mom came with me. We celebrated her birthday, just she and I. It was so nice to spend time with her and relaxing not having to be at work and sleep in! She and I both said to each other, "we know exactly what he is going to say. 'Looks good. Healing slow but healing well. Stay on the meds. Come back in three months and we'll see about getting the braces off.' And that is precisely what he said. Only he added, "your orthodontist smokes. Your bite is perfect. Your bite is better than my bite. Your bite is better than his bite." Well that's great news to hear! Go Dr Spils!
So next up: follow up appnt end of Sept. Hoping to get the hook and screw out for sure. Hope to start weaning off meds so I can have a dang baby!! I really want a big pregnant belly. I really want a baby. But I must be patient. I do not want to go through all this just to have it revert backward when I get pregnant or nurse. That is a risk and we need to bathe the joints in meds now so they are as stable as they can be by the time I get pregnant. As much as I want a baby, I know I need to be patient because my joints are healing properly, though slowly, and that's all I can ask for. I don't want to rush it and ruin things. I honestly can't even think about that. I just feel bad for Ty. He is sitting patiently on the sidelines waiting this all out. He wants a kid. He is ready. He didn't ask for this. I bet he pictured his life much different at this age.
Unfortunately, life doesn't go according to plan. It rarely works out the way we want it to. I just have to trust in The Lord and trust in the process.
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVERYONE!! Stay safe, have fun and stand up for your rights! I love America!

No pictures this time because I am a year and a half behind on posting it and already have my next post almost done. So on the next post you'll get updated pictures as well as information. A LOT has happened since July 2014.. you won't want to miss this one!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lana... I was wondering at what age you had your surgery? I'm in the EXACT same situation and trying to figure out how long I can put this surgery off (I'm in med school and really can't take off)... & thank you for an extremely helpful and informative blog! Your result is beautiful :) you can email me at bookwormlee(at)live.com if you'd rather not post publicly. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there
    I hope you answer me
    Did dr. Arnett added a ha paste to define you jaw I think you result is nothing but perfectp. YouY just need a little HA and you well look every thing

    ReplyDelete