Saturday, June 29, 2013

Free Willy!

Guess what? I have normal braces again!! Who knew I would be so excited for braces haha. I've only had them half my life. But I've had those bulky acrylic (plastic, wax looking) things on both sides of my teeth for three months. Their purpose was to hold together my jaw where Dr Arnett cut it into three segments, so I guess they were pretty necessary. I guess I kinda needed something strong to hold the pieces together while they heal right?
Anyway they are finally gone! And I finally have one regular consistent wire all the way across my top teeth. To me, my braces look slim and neat now. Neat like clean, not like cool, cause if it were up to me, these braces would be off! But that is still awhile coming so don't get hasty. Dr says the braces need to be on for at least a year after surgery. Boo. But whatever! I have a jaw.. a chin.. a proportioned face! And FOREVER GRATEFUL I will be!! I still thank The Lord in my nightly prayers that my condition was fixable, that I was blessed with such good healing and that the results turned out amazing and very pleasing to me and my family. (Don't get me wrong, it was still AWFUL AWFUL, and you'll have to knock me over the head and drag me feet first into the hospital to ever go through anything like that again). With that being said.. let's see how birthing my babies goes! haha, heaven help me.
On a side note, feeling is still continuing to sneak its way back. However, the day I got my acrylic wraps off, was one of my more painful days and night. I was up constantly that night because my teeth hurt so bad! Earlier that night I went out with my good friend Kelli Royal. We were eating at cheesecake factory and just talking and eating our super soft (super delicious) cheesecake was killing me! Up until this point my teeth have been almost completely numb still. I guess because of all the pushing and prodding on my teeth earlier that day, it made them super sore.. and I could feel it!
Right now, at this point in the healing stage, the majority of the inside of my mouth is numb. I can feel my tongue and almost all of the roof of my mouth. I can taste food probably 80-90%. I can tell that the roof of my mouth is not fully back to normal and once it is I will be able to taste 100% again. I kind of eat like a cow. I am on soft chew diet (which is a.ma.zing!) but I kind of just gnaw on my food and mush it around in my mouth then swallow somewhat whole. The food gets broken up but not chewed up. It's still a very weird sensation to chew and I haven't quite mastered that yet. 
My teeth are starting to feel sensitivities. When I drink something cold, a few teeth will hurt. When certain teeth hit against another tooth, I feel it zing all along the nerve.
My gums =  still numb. Probably the most out of everything. I sometimes have to be careful when I am trying to pick food out of my mouth without a mirror. My gums feel soft like the food, so I'll try picking it. Since I can't feel it I don't know that I am picking my gums, not food. Hah. Thank goodness I haven't done any damage to myself. 
Food getting stuck in my teeth is another story. My tongue cant stretch like it used to so I cant get everything out of my braces. And when I try, it hurts. I'll be brushing me teeth at night and get whole noodles and pieces of food that come out. It's a real treat!
My mouth is still extremely tight and stiff. Talking is not back to normal yet, nor smiling, laughing, facial expressions etc. It's normal enough (I think? I can't see myself when I talk so I don't know what it looks like) But I can feel it and it's stiff and so not normal. That will take time. Much time, prob closer to the year mark. Full recovery is one year. So I'm assuming it just looks like I am a lazy talker and don't use my lips or mouth to annunciate words. It's quite funny actually.. I see the way people look at me when I talk to them- Strangers that is. Those who don't know I just had reconstructive jaw surgery. Like when I'm talking to a cashier at a store. And they sometimes have to say "what?" because they didn't quite understand me. It's funny the way they look at me- their face says things like "Use your mouth when you talk!" hahaha.
So these days I eat things like:
eggs
potatoes
pasta pasta pasta!
soft meats like shredded pork (I've been living off Casa Salza sweet pork enchilada- THE.BEST.THING.CREATED.IN.THE.HISTORY.OF.EVER)
beans
rice
burritos
breads
basically all the fatty starches!
I know I know what you're thinking- "she needs those fat foods!" "she needs to fatten up!"
Please stop thinking that. No one needs to fatten up! Not even skinny girls. Perhaps they need more "meat on their bones" but that can consist of muscle and the healthy 'fats'. I am built small, always have been, always will be. Yes I did lose a lot of weight due to my 10 week liquid diet, but YES I HAVE been putting it back on now that I am eating normal food again. I am trying to build muscle not fat- because who wants to be flabby?! Uh, no one, that's who. Yes, I know I am small, I am grateful for that, but it wasn't a problem before surgery and I am only a couple pounds lighter than my pre-surgical weight. So all's well that ends well!! And p.s.- I've never been a clean healthy eater, I love my junk food. I have been a lot better since I got married (thanks to my sweet hubs Tyson) so I try to eat somewhat healthy for my body but I still love me some cupcakes and brownies.. It's all about moderation my friends! Sometimes I'm not so good at moderation though- but hey, we all make mistakes and I'll be forever working on that! :)
I have been able to work out lightly, and run a little bit for the past 3 weeks. It's been nice to feel the burn again! But holy hannah- IT. IS. HARD.
Sheesh. I had NO CLUE how much major surgery takes out of your body. Add that to not being able to work out for 3 months and you lose a ton of your stamina and muscles. It's like I haven't worked out a day in my life. It's like I haven't even climbed stairs in my life. It feels like I'm 500 pounds and trying to run an 8 minute mile. Talk about impossible! It's a work in progress. And I can not wait until I have the money and endurance to get back into cross fit. That is my absolute favorite thing. BEST way to work out. EVER. Hands down. You see results the quickest and its just an all around great work out for any body type. In the meantime, I have been doing the brazilian butt lift. It's a good one! I'm workin' on no saggy bums here! And toned thighs. I love the look of toned thighs so thats my goal. If you want a great home work out, check my pinterest board labeled 'someday'. There is a brazilian butt work out I pinned. It's basically a side picture of a naked toned bum, cant miss it! It's a killer I tell ya. :)
Here are some pictures of my life in the last few weeks!
celebrating our anniversary- 5 years! We're old

thought it'd be fun to throw in an oldy. this is about 2 years ago

sides before and after (sorry for bad quality)

through the process. day before surgery. week of surgery. 1.5-2 months after surgery

watching fireworks

totally normal

new babe born into the fam! "rock on" she says

babysitting the littles

another great creation. cake made into cupcakes!

no more acrylic wraps!

rodeo-ing

Ty got to hik the Uintahs.. Teeka missed him

loves on our way to vegas (I have lips now..good ones!) :)

some more littles. making strawberry jam, swimming, reading

Ma girl Kelli!


Until we meet again!
Peace and love.

3 comments:

  1. That side profile comparison is amazing!
    As for the babies, birthing them will be a cinch after all this...it's the raising them that's a killer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are we going to get another update? Your blog is one of the best out there. Very informative. I had surgery with Dr. Gunson 5 weeks ago and I remember reading every single one of your posts thoroughly (and other blogs) before surgery. It helped even though nothing really prepares you for the first week after surgery as you know.

    Btw you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello gorgeous I want to ask you did arnett used the HA paste in you surgery

    ReplyDelete